JEFFERSON CITY, TENN. – The Limestone College baseball team registered three more homeruns to bring its season total to 64, but it was not quite enough as Carson-Newman University completed the season sweep with a 7-6 decision on Tuesday, March 28 at the Silver Diamond Baseball Complex.
Score: Carson-Newman 7, Limestone 6
Records: Carson-Newman (15-16), Limestone (18-14)
Location: Silver Diamond Baseball Complex
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Redshirt-sophomore Zach Piazza (Huntingtown, Md.) went 3-for-4 with a homerun
- Sophomore Ryan Creps (Indiana, Pa.) added three hits, a double, and two RBIs
- Junior Matt Orth (Asheboro, N.C.) chipped in a pair of hits, including a homerun
- Sophomore Chase Allen (Sharpsburg, Ga.) finished with two knocks
- Senior Garrett Lowery (Dallas, N.C.) belted a leadoff homerun, his 16th of the year
- Junior Brandon Etheridge (Cartersville, Ga.) recorded a hit and an RBI
- Junior Robert Bamford (Davie, Fla.) struck out seven over four innings, but took a no-decision
- Freshman Michael Sholtis (Greer, S.C.) was saddled with the loss out of the pen
- Limestone finished with 15 hits and four walks, but left 12 runners stranded
HOW IT HAPPENED
For the third time this season, Lowery started the game with a bang as he crushed the second pitch of the contest over the wall in right-centerfield for a leadoff homerun – his 16th long ball of the year. The Eagles then punctuated a two-out rally in the bottom of the third with a three-run blast to jump in front, 3-1.
Orth homered to the opposite field to lead off the fourth, cutting the deficit to 3-2, before the Saints loaded the bags with just one out. The Blue and Gold was unable to take advantage, however, as it only managed to plate the tying run on a two-out walk by Etheridge.
The contest would not be deadlocked for long as Carson-Newman hit a leadoff dinger in the bottom of the frame before adding two more markers in the fifth to double up the visitors, 6-3.
In the seventh, Piazza delivered Limestone’s third leadoff homerun of the game – his 14th jack of the season – before back-to-back two-out singles by redshirt-sophomore Brennan Strovink (Rocky Point, N.Y.) and freshman Trace Whetsell (Gilbert, S.C.) kept the inning going for the Blue and Gold.
With the bases full of Saints and still two gone, Creps came through with a booming two-run double that split the gap in right-centerfield and tied the game at 6-all. The comeback bid would short-lived, however, as the Eagles came through with the winning run in the bottom of the seventh.
Limestone fought back from a pair of deficits and tied the game twice, but Carson-Newman immediately countered on both occasions to complete the season sweep.
- The Saints fall to 13-15 against Carson-Newman, and 0-8 all-time in Jefferson City
- Limestone has hit three or more homeruns in a game 11 times this season
- The Blue and Gold has homered in sixth consecutive games
- Lowery and Piazza have hit homeruns in the same game six times on the year
Limestone is back in action tomorrow (Wednesday, March 29) as it begins a five-game homestand with a nonconference matchup against Lander University. Game time is set for 5 p.m.