Spartanburg, S.C. – The Rutgers Scarlet Knights scored two runs in both the first and second innings as they defeated USC Upstate 5-1 in non-conference action at Harley Park on Friday night.
Rutgers improves to 7-14 while Upstate drops to 12-12.
- Top 1st – Jawuan Harris led off the game with a single and scored on a Mike Carter two-run home run.
- Top 2nd – After the first two Rutgers batters were retired, Carmen Sclafani was hit by a pitch. Sclafani advanced to second on a wild pitch and scored on a Kevin Welsh single. Welsh would score on a Carter double.
- Bottom 8th – Charlie Carpenter reached on a Rutgers error and advanced to third on a J.J. Shimko single. Carpenter scored on a double play.
- Top 9th – Welsh led off the inning with a walk and advanced to third on a failed pickoff attempt before scoring on a groundout.
- Shimko and Brett Hawkins each went 2-for-4 with two singles.
- Carpenter, Devon Ortiz, Drake Harris, Jake Bourke and Nick Bryson each had a hit for the Spartans.
- Carter went 2-for-4 with a double, home run and four RBI to lead the Rutgers offense.
- Harris and Christian Campbell each finished with two hits.
- Serafino Brito (1-5) earned the win, scattering eight hits with five strikeouts in 7.0 innings.
- Sean Hupp (0-1) took the loss after giving up four runs on four hits in 1.2 innings.
- Trey Van Der Weide allowed three hits in 4.1 scoreless innings of relief.
- Upstate and Rutgers will play a doubleheader on Saturday beginning at 1 p.m.